Organization: World Food Programme
Closing date: 29 Nov 2022
WHO WE ARE
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP), a highly prestigious, reputable & world’s largest humanitarian organization, operating in more than 120 countries and territories, bringing life-saving assistance in emergencies, building pathways to peace, stability and prosperity for people recovering from conflict, disasters and the impact of climate change and supporting sustainable and resilient livelihoods for a world with zero hunger.
At WFP, people are at the heart of everything we do and the vision of the future WFP workforce is one of diverse, committed, skilled, and high performing teams, selected on merit, operating in a healthy and inclusive work environment, living WFP’s values (Integrity, Collaboration, Commitment, Humanity, and Inclusion) and working with partners to save and change the lives of those WFP serves.
To learn more about WFP, visit our website: UN World Food Programme (WFP) and follow us on social media to keep up with our latest news: YouTube, LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter.
WHY SHOULD YOU JOIN US
- WFP is a 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate
- WFP offers a highly inclusive, diverse, and multicultural working environment
- WFP invests in the personal & professional development of its employees through a range of training, accreditation, coaching, mentorship, and other programs as well as through internal mobility opportunities
- A career path in WFP provides an exciting opportunity to work across the various country, regional and global offices around the world, and with passionate colleagues who work tirelessly to ensure that effective humanitarian assistance reaches millions of people across the globe.
- We offer an attractive compensation package (please refer to the Terms and Conditions section)
The Senior Programme Associate (VAM) will report to the Regional VAM Advisor. He/she will work with the regional team and is expected to produce organized and accurate technical work.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Provide technical support and assist in the development and implementation of various activities and processes within the specific area of work supporting alignment with wider programme policies and guidelines.
2. Provide specialized project management support to specific and/or defined programmes to ensure that the various activities are performed within the established targets following WFP’s policies and procedures.
3. Within the specific area of responsibility, prepare a range of reports and data analysis (e.g. food assistance needs, resource utilization, programme status, performance) and highlight trends/issues ensuring deliverables adhere to corporate standards and quality control.
4. Ensure and/or perform accurate, timely recording of data within the specific technical area of work (e.g. assistance programmes, food security and vulnerability assessments) and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
5. Liaise with internal counterparts to support effective collaboration, implementation and monitoring of ongoing project activities.
6. Coordinate and communicate with local partners, agencies, NGOs and government institutions to perform accurate food security analyses and to ensure efficient delivery of food assistance.
7. Support the capacity building of WFP staff, cooperating partners and national government within the specific technical area.
8. Act as a point of contact for resolution of a range of operational queries and problems within a specific technical area of responsibility.
9. Oversee and/or review the work of other support staff, providing practical advice and guidance, to contribute to delivering objectives to agreed standards and deadlines.
10. Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to ensure WFP is able to quickly respond and deploy needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREENTS:
- Provide support with the Corporate Platform for data management and Monitoring (COMET).
- Provides specialized support to the Regional Bureau to ensure effective collaboration with Country Offices and strategic partners for the development of emergency preparedness activities, particularly those connected with ICA process and EFSA 72H.
- Design of reports and other communication materials for printing and electronic distribution, as requested by the VAM unit.
- Deliver creative and innovative ideas for print, electronic, and/or web-based presentations, as requested by other functional units.
- Promote implementation of standards related to mapping such as templates, naming convention, symbols and metadata.
- Perform any other duties within his/her professional competence as required by her supervisor.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Prior knowledge and working experience in Latin America is an asset.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area.
Experience: At least 6 years of experience in the field.
Language: Fluency in Spanish and English is required. Fluency in French is an asset.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Demonstrated experience in the use of Geographic Information Systems to manipulate, organize, analyze, and present spatial information to a high standard to meet the unit requirements.
- Knowledge of and experience in secondary data analysis and strong data management and analysis skills.
- Knowledge of database management systems, metadata standards and infrastructures.
- Strong ability with MS Word and Excel and ESRI GIS suite
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and requests.
- Demonstrated communication skills (written and verbal) with a variety of stakeholders, including effectively communicating technical concepts.
- Ability to build rapport with a variety of people from different backgrounds.
- Programme management
WFP LEADERSHIP FRAMEWORK: COMMON STANDARDS OF BEHAVIOUR
Leads by Example with Integrity: Demonstrates and encourages others to uphold the WFP values, principles and standards.
Drives Results and Delivers on Commitments: Delivers results against delegated tasks and seeks guidance and support where needed.
Fosters Inclusive and Collaborative: Supports development for others by giving timely and constructive feedback.
Applies Strategic Thinking: Demonstrates curiosity, and proposes new ways of doing things when relevant.
Builds and Maintains Sustainable Partnerships: Builds partnerships by seeking out opportunities to work with others
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Number of openings: 1
Based in: Panama City, Panama
Type of Contract: Fixed Term
Duration: 12 months.
This position is open to people who hold a permanent work visa or is a Panamanian citizen.
You can consult the UN Salary Scale for Panama page for your reference.
Fixed-Term appointments are for a continuous period of one year or more and shall have a specified expiration date. The initial appointment is subject to a probationary period of one year.
Successful candidates will be placed in a roster for two (2) years.
How to apply
Please following the link to submit your application: